Godwyn is an independent magus (an eremite, one without a covenant) living in a cave in the woods near Stranggore. His initial contact with the magi of Stranggore went poorly and Godwyn developed a strong distrust for his Hermetic neighbors, especially Argus.
Godwyn is a member of House Bjornaer. His heart-beast is a wolf. He was apprenticed at the covenant of Oswald's Haven in Yorkshire.
Godwyn's Character sheet is File:Godwyn.pdf.
Note: There are still a couple of stories from the forums that ought to be filled in. "Frightened Villagers" comes to mind. Also, I should figure out when The Pilgrimage happened.
|1190||Autumn||Godwyn Sets Out||Thomas the Poacher|
|1190||Winter||Of Mice and Monks||Thomas the Poacher|
|1191||Summer||The Black Beast of the Weld||Thomas the Poacher|
|1191||Summer||A Covenant Denied||Torkel, Argus, Thomas the Poacher|
|1191||Autumn||The Horror of Wookey Hole||Thomas the Poacher|
|1191||Winter||Two Faces of Love||Thomas the Poacher|
|1195||Summer||Release the Hounds||Hywel Mawr, Randolph, Thomas the Poacher|
|1195||Autumn||Godwyn's Gambit||The Wild Hunt|
|1198||Spring||Godwyn and Paul at Cad Gadu||Paul|
|1198||Summer||The Rescue of Ozerk||Agnes, Paul, Randolph, Thomas the Poacher|
|1201||Spring||Ozerk's Revenge||Paul, Thomas the Poacher, Randolph|
Godwyn's long-term goal is to gain control of the Master of the Wild Hunt. He plans to use the Wild Hunt to destroy diabolists and to return what are now royal forests to a primeval state.
He sees Blackthorn as a rival and a threat. He seeks both to stand up to them and to strengthen Stranggore to better resist them in the future.
Godwyn wants to restore a thriving wolf pack to the forest now known as Godwyn's Chase and to forge a strong alliance of mutual defense with the wolves. He introduced two magical wolves, Grey-Mane and Silver-Tail, to the Chase several years ago but there has been little story development of his relationship with them.
Godwyn's wolf nature makes him status conscious. He wants the respect of his peers and a position of importance within his covenant, his House, and (if possible) the Tribunal.
He had a religious awakening following his pilgrimage and wants to serve God's will. To him, this means helping Stranggore to rule wisely and to bring justice to the land. It also means thwarting or deposing nobles who abuse their power -- in his mind, most of those are Norman.
In approximate order of priority:
Improve Vim score
- Invent The Gift of Vigor
- Invest Maintaining the Demanding Spell into Talisman
- Learn some anti-demon spells
- Learn Ward Against the Beasts of Legend from covenant grimoire
- Research artifacts collected long ago: Thorn's belt, stone from Maidencastle
- Learn Sight of the True Form
- Improve Terram score
- Copy lab texts into covenant grimoire.
Godwyn has a sealed and written will, which he has given to the redcap John of Worcester for safekeeping. He leaves the following bequests:
- To Thomas the Poacher, his house and all his mundane chattels including cash
- To Hywel Mawr, his magical possessions and laboratory equipment and supplies
- Also to Hywel Mawr, a letter stored in his sanctum. The letter says an item pertaining to him whom Godwyn and Hywel met on their first trip to Wales is buried amid the foundations of Glastonbury Abbey. The monks are unaware of the item, the letter says, but it gives explicit directions.